Every patient should visit a doctor who will write a prescription for a nebulizer itself and medication, in particular.
Do you need a prescription for a nebulizer machine?
Yes, you do. Nebulizers are dispensed in conventional drugstores with a doctor’s prescription. A patient should undergo medical examination during which nebulizer treatments will be selected. The medications should be used as a short or long-term therapy. Every medication for nebulizer therapy is dispensed with a prescription. There are cases when a patient may buy over the counter nebulizer medications but their effectiveness and safety have not been approved by the US FDA.
The majority of nebulizer medicine cannot be purchased over the counter. Every patient should consult a physician who will select a correct therapy for your diagnosis. It is better not to put your health at risk buying over the counter nebulizer medications.
This is a table with medications which can be prescribed by a doctor for asthma and other respiratory diseases’ treatment:
|Drugs expanding the bronchi (bronchodilators)||
|Anti-bacterial drugs||prescription drug for nebulizer – Fluimucil-antibiotic|
|Anti-inflammatory drugs||Glucocorticosteroids: Pulmicort (Budesonide), a suspension for a nebulizer machine|
|Antitussive drugs||Sterile saline (0.9% sodium chloride) is used as a solution. Do not use tap (even boiled) and distilled water. The temperature of the solution at the time of inhalation should not be below 20 °C. With the simultaneous appointment of several drugs, a bronchodilator is inhaled first, mucolytic – after 10-15 minutes. After sputum secretion, anti-inflammatory drugs can be applied.|
The list of over the counter nebulizers at Amazon
Nowadays, different online services may offer you nebulizers over the counter. Every customer may get acquainted with over the counter nebulizers even on Amazon. Here, there is a list with nebulizers of different types:
- FIGERM Upgraded Cool Mist Inhaler Compressor System;
- Uniclife Portable Compressor System Kit Cool Mist Inhaler for Kids Adults;
- Wave Medical WMP101 Compact Piston Compressor with Adult and Children’s Mask Kits + Travel Bag;
- TTstar Compressor System Personal Cool Mist Inhaler Machine Kit for Adults and Kids with 1 Set Parts Kit;
- Nebulizer Wizard – Rechargeable Silent Portable for Home & Travel;
- Hangsun Compact Compressor System Vaporizer Mist Inhaler Machine CN680 for Kids and Adults Home Use;
- RoyAroma Personal Cool Mist Inhaler Compressor System for Child Adult-120V/60HZ;
- Punasi Portable Mini Nebulizer Machine Rechargeable USB Handheld Inhaler Machine/Personal Cool Mist Vaporizer for Adult Kid.
This list relates to one of the best selling over the counter machines helping to relieve asthma attacks. The majority of offered nebulizers may be used at home for individual purposes. Of course, if you doubt what machine you need you may ask a physician to write a prescription. In any case, you need to consult a physician as medications used for asthma treatment are dispensed with a doctor prescription only.
Can expenses for nebulizers be covered by insurance?
Yes, you can in the case if you have asked your doctor to write a legal prescription for buying a nebulizer. It means you have to visit a physician in any case. The physician should establish a diagnosis, therapy for it and its duration.
Medicare, Medicaid, and Commercial Insurance may offer to cover your expenses for a nebulizer and medications for the treatment of bronchial asthma. If you have Medicare insurance plan you should provide the following information:
- a complete description of nebulizer and medications;
- duration of therapy;
- prescribed medications;
- doctor signature;
If some of these positions are absent, Medicare and Medicaid will deny paying for your kit even if your doctor writes a prescription for your nebulizer.
If your expenses are covered by Commercial Insurance plans you are welcome to provide much more detailed information about your condition and prescription for a nebulizer. The following data should be provided:
- the recipient name, address and social security number;
- nebulizer and medications for it;
- the diagnosis confirmed by a physician;
- serious causes for buying a nebulizer;
- the therapy duration;
- a patient’s contact data;
- a document with a doctor’s signature.
In any case, you have to make an appointment with the doctor who will assess your condition. The insurance company will decide whether the confirmed data are enough to cover the expenses for a nebulizer and medications for it.